Sunday, May 30, 2010

All gave some, some gave all...

When I first heard "Taps" being played I was a little girl and I didn't really know what it meant. I just knew that it made my heart hurt a little bit and there was a catch in my throat that made it hard to swallow. You see, back when I was little, children weren't excluded from the parts of life that were sad. If someone died that was a relative or friend, we were at the funeral. This was where I first heard "Taps" being played. I can't remember who it was that died, but I can vividly remember standing by the car at the cemetery and listening to that mournful sound.

I am proud to say that I come from a long line of people who were honored to serve their country. As I grow older I am more appreciative and in awe of the sacrifice they and others like them made. May we always have that ache in our heart and catch in the throat when we think about the price of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment