Saturday, May 1, 2010

Happy Birthday, Erin!

Today our “baby” is 28 years old. How can that possibly be? I have a vivid memory of that day and it doesn’t seem that long ago.
Erin 1
I remember that mom and daddy were over at the house for lunch. Dan was helping dad with the new house that they were building in the same neighborhood where we lived. Anyway, the men were hungry and Amy wanted a Happy Meal so we went to McDonald’s to get a Big Mac. (The labor nurse said we’d be seeing that Big Mac again, but we never did.) I noticed that I was having some discomfort, but ignored it because we were also having a new sofa delivered that had been on order for six weeks and I was not missing out on that! Mind you, Erin was already 2 weeks late.

By the middle of the afternoon, I was beginning to think that this was indeed the day. I called the doctor and he said to begin making my way to the hospital. The hospital was in the Texas Medical Center and we lived in a suburb north of town. I told Dan that we needed to get on the road, but he was washing the car. He kept saying, “in just a minute” because we’d had this drill before. Finally, he was through with the car and we drove to mom’s to drop off Amy and got to the hospital in time to see “Wheel of Fortune.”

Once we got there, they wouldn’t admit us because they weren’t sure that we’d be staying. They said that we needed to '”walk.” I wanted to say “For Pete’s sake…I’m as big as a hippopotamus, the baby’s two weeks late, and I’m not leaving.” After “walking” for a while, I told the nurse that my water had broken. She said, “We’ll just see about that.” We saw alright!!

Erin was born at 10:30 that evening. She weighed 8 lbs. 15oz. (I told you she was late.) The whole family was there to welcome her to the world. It was a precious time.
erin mom dad
Aunt Judy and Uncle Tony looking in the nursery window.
judy & tony
Amy and Josh checking Erin out.
amy and josh
Erin looked like she was a month old already. I told that doctor that it was past time for that baby to be born!
 erin bassinet
erin bassinet 2
Wow! I can’t believe I’m really holding my baby sister!
amy holding erin
This takes a lot of concentration…
amy feeding erin
Proud grandparents…mimi and pawpaw
 erin mimi
Memaw and pepaw
erin memaw

Birthday cake…birthday cake
Going home…
erin going home

Sitting on the new sofa…
amy & erin
This baby that we so joyously welcomed to our family 28 years ago has grown into a Godly young woman who has blessed our lives and of whom we couldn’t be more proud.

Happy birthday, Erin! We love you.
Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Psalm 127:3

No comments:

Post a Comment