I think that I got this idea from White Spray Paint: instead of having a New Year’s resolution, choose a word that will be your “word” for the year. I’ve thought a lot about it and I think that my word will be focused. This is the exact opposite of chaotic, which is how life in today’s world seems much of the time. The dictionary says focused means centered. That sounds about right.
Spiritually, I want to stay focused on…
- who God is, as defined in His Word, and what He has done in my life. That will take care of any and all stress and anxiety in the New Year.
- the hope of eternity I have through my faith in Jesus. That puts everything else in perspective.
- living a life that glorifies Christ. (That’s my real purpose for being here, after all.)
Personally, I want to stay focused on…
- continuing to develop my relationship with my husband, my family, and my friends. I want my family to “rise up and bless me.”
- keeping my house a home that is a welcome refuge /“looking well to the ways of my household.”
- developing and maintaining a healthier lifestyle. (i.e eating less and exercising more)
- working “as unto the Lord.” Sometimes this can be totally contrary to our nature.
- finishing what I start. (This could be the hardest! I might possibly need some Ritalin for this one. Ha!)
- making the right things the right things.
Well…that’s a start.
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell (focus) on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things; and the God of peace shall be with you. Philippians 4:8-9