Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Sisters

Sisters, Sisters

There were never such devoted sisters

Never had to have a chaperone “No, sir”

I'm there to keep my eye on her

Caring, Sharing

Every little thing that we are wearing

When a certain gentleman arrived from Rome

She wore the dress and I stayed home

All kinds of weather

We stick together

The same in the rain or sun

Two diff'rent faces

But in tight places

We think and we act as one

Those who've seen us

Know that not a thing could come between us

Many men have tried to split us up but no one can

Lord help the mister Who comes between me and my sister

And Lord help the sister

Who comes between me and my man

From White Christmas by Irving Berlin

Yesterday was my sister’s birthday. I hope that she’ll forgive me for posting this a day late on dad’s birthday instead.

When I was three-years-old I got the very best Christmas present a little girl could ever get – a baby sister – and she has been a blessing to my life ever since.

Judy's birth

She is my prayer partner and a prayer warrior for my family.

praying

She is my confidante, counselor, encourager, and cheerleader who I can count on to tell me what I need to hear, not necessarily what I want to hear. I know that I can call her at anytime and she will be there for me and I will be there for her. We have shed many tears as well as bouts of laughter together. Our kids laugh at us because they say that we can’t keep secrets from each other. They’re right! What affects one of us affects both of us.

phone

She gives good advise measured by God’s word.

advisor She is my best friend and sidekick.

sidekick

When times have been difficult for either or both of us, we know that we can find a refuge and support in our faith and sisterhood.

refuge Playing out by the smokehouse at grandmother’s and granddaddy’s farm.

Mom died when we were in our early thirties. We have spent the greatest part of our adult years without a mother. We’ve gotten good at mothering each other.

mothering

I don’t know how I would have gotten through some of the tough times in my life without Judy’s support; my joy in the happy times would not have been complete if I had been unable to share it with her. I’m glad I’ve not had to do life “solo.”

soloPlaying grandmother’s piano at the farm.

When I count my blessings, my sister is at the top of the list!

asleep

1 comment:

  1. It is hard not to cry when I read such a beautiful post and then again consider what our relationship means to me. God knew we would need each other when He knew, too, that mother's days would be short. I love you, Sister!

    ReplyDelete