Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Ready or not…

I don’t know about you, but I’m not quite ready for Christmas. I’ve still got shopping to do, cookies to bake, a house to clean, presents to wrap, etc. My life has been full this month (as I’m sure everyone’s is) and I can’t seem to catch up. I’ll get there…I have to. Christmas Eve is tomorrow!

I read a post on Monday that really spoke to my heart this Christmas season. You can find the post here. It talks about how the Bible says that for the 400 years prior to the birth of Christ, God was silent. The Israelites were undergoing pain, persecution, and suffering due to their own rebelliousness as they were shifted from empire to empire. Certainly this had happened to the Israelites before. What was the difference this time? There was no word from God. Some call it the “darkest” period in Jewish history. The Old Testament ends, however, with a reminder from Malachi: Remember what God has done for you; Believe he is not through with you yet.

God’s people were beyond ready for a word from Him when “the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.” John 1:14

The Word came as a baby born to a virgin, wrapped in swaddling clothes, and laid in a manger that Christmas Eve so many years ago. I need to stop in my Christmas readiness and remember the grace given to me through that Baby and believe that whatever the future holds, He holds the future and He is not through with me yet.

Emmanuel, God with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment