Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Spring Break

Oh, how we were all looking forward with excitement to this week. It has been such a busy, stressful year, that we all needed some R & R, especially with plans like some of my coworkers. One is spending some quality time with her granddaughter seeing the sights like the Houston Livestock Show and Cirque de Soleil. Another is on a trip with her daughter and family to Washington, D.C. and New York City. Another is in Hilton Head with her family. Another is camping with her son and daughters, their boyfriends, and their extended family in Disneyworld.

My week so far pales in comparison. Ha! I have enjoyed the beautiful weather as I’ve cleaned out closets and plan to continue spring cleaning the rest of the week. Sounds like fun, right??? It’ll be nice to go back to work with a clean house. (Although I’m jealous of all of the family fun, I’ll just have to wait until Judy and I go to Israel!)

As I was cleaning out some boxes in my closet, I ran across some jewelry, gloves, and handkerchiefs of my mother’s. The gloves and the handkerchiefs reminded me of Easter. Sometimes we would get a  shiny white patent-leather purse in our Easter basket. Of course, in those days, your Easter outfit would not be complete without a pair of white gloves and sometimes a hanky to go in the new purse. I’m sure the gloves and hankies I found made it to many Sunday services.

Sifting through these keepsakes precipitated a bout of nostalgia and lonesomeness for my mom, who died 26 years ago when she was just a few years older than I am now. She was the heart of our home and was the glue that held our extended family together. It also made me think of all of my coworkers on their Spring Break vacations with their extended families. I hope they make a lot of precious memories…

Honor your father and mother which is the first commandment with a promise – that it may go well with you and that you may have a long life. ~Ephesians 6:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment